RECIPE BY YASMIN FROM @VGNBITES_
Festive and fun vegan gingerbread cookies that's perfect for the holidays. These gingerbread men are crisp on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside and packed with ginger, cinnamon and brown sugar flavor.
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Vegan Butter, 1/4 cup
- Brown Sugar, 1/2 cup
- Unsulphured Molasses, 1/3 cup
- Vanilla Extract, 1/2 tsp
- Flax Egg, 1 (combine 1 tbsp of flaxmeal with 3 tbsp water)
- All Purpose Flour, 2 cups
- Baking Soda, 1 tsp
- Salt, 1/4 tsp
- Ground Ginger, 2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon, 2 tsp
- Allspice, 1/4 tsp
- Ground Cloves, 1/4 tsp
- Powdered Sugar, 1 cup
- Vanilla Extract, 1/2 tsp
- Soy Milk, 1 tbsp
- GINGERBREAD COOKIES
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Add the vegan butter and brown sugar to a mixing bowl and whisk using an electric mixer. Alternatively, you can use a stand-mixer to make it easier.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing the two ingredients together and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the molasses, vanilla and flax egg to the bowl and beat together with the vegan butter and brown sugar.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and cloves and whisk together until combined.
- Add all the dry ingredients into your mixing bowl and mix until a thick batter forms. You might want to use a different whisk attachment here.
- Flour your surface and your hands very generously and transfer the cookie dough onto the baking surface. Roll it into a ball, adding flour as needed so it doesn’t stick.
- Roll out with a rolling pin to around 1/4 inch thick and cut out some gingerbread men. Dip your cookie cutter in flour each time so it doesn’t stick. Move the gingerbread men to a parchment lined baking tray.
- Gather the scraps of dough, form into a ball and roll out again, cutting out more men.
- Don’t be shy to add more flour each time, this dough can be quite sticky and you need it not to be as you roll it, so add flour as needed.
- Any excess flour on the gingerbread cookies will bake off.
- Repeat this process until you have used all the dough.
- Place into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes and then remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before decorating.
- Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Test the frosting if it will hold its shape. Simply pipe a few decorations in a parchment paper. If they hold well after a few minutes, it's ready. If the frosting flattened, you would need to add more powdered sugar. If your frosting is hard to pipe, add a couple of drops of milk. Less is more.
- Decorate your cookies however you wish.
- Serve them in your favourite Coconut Bowls and enjoy!
Vgnbites_ is all about healthy plant-based recipes that are easy to follow, tastes delicious and focuses on wholesome ingredients. Join Yasmin in her kitchen to make amazing smoothies and learn more about how to make healthy food choices.
YouTube Channel: Vgnbites