RECIPE BY MARIA ANDREE of @thefitstitch
These sushi rolls are definitely to die for. Vibrant, nutritious and inviting, these maki rolls will definitely win anyone's hearts and tummies!
- Red Cabbage, 1/2 of a head
- Avocado, 1
- Cucumber, 1/2 (thinly sliced)
- Carrots, 2 (grated)
- Asparagus, 3
- Nori Sheets, 3 (full size)
- With a cheese grater or food processor grind red cabbage until you reach a rice consistency. If using a food processor chop in medium size chunks and pulse food processor once or twice for 5 second until mixture is coarse.
- Place cabbage rice in a nut bag milk or strainer and press to remove all water excess. Rice should be dry to the touch.
- Place your nori, shiny side down, on the bamboo rolling mat. on your sushi mat Add cabbage rice covering 2/3 of the sheet with an even flat layer. Place fillings at one side of the nori sheet and roll with sushi mat.
- Once the roll is complete, pick up the mat with the roll and press firmly. This will press the rice in to position, and the last naked bit of nori will stick to itself, sealing the roll. Wrap roll in cling/plastic film and let sit for 5 min. This will ensure makiroll with stick together until you are ready to serve.
Serve in your favourite Coconut Bowls and dip in light soy sauce, spicy mayo or sauce you like! Enjoy!
- You will need a grater/ food processor, nut milk bag or strainer and a sushi mat.
Maria is an architect with a Masters in Sustainable Environmental Design by day and a real foodie by night. She loves creating easy and simple plant-based recipes and is passionate about our environment and all things sustainable.